Monday we lost our dear friend Chap, our full-of- beans yet gentle, English Cocker who has been part of our family for more than fourteen years. We all had a chance to say good-bye and Dan, thankfully, was with him at the Vet when he went peacefully.
I still remember when he picked him up at the airport after his flight from Virginia, his home. He was so adorable and tiny. He was scared and he whined, but we figured out what made him feel safe and he seemed happy after that. He loved learning how to hunt and he loved going out to find birds with Dan.
Chap was such a wonderful addition to our family, and he loved the kids. I remember being nervous when Jackson was born that he might not know how to deal with a baby, but he was fabulous with him. He was just as great with Max and Alex too. When they were little, the kids didn't know better, so they'd pull on his fur, his whiskers, anything, but Chap would just sit there, take it, and love them back. He licked food off their faces, and he cleaned up messes for me (our our built-in vacuum).
When the kids were older, he'd play fetch and doggie language and have fun forever with a moving flashlight. He got into trouble sometimes, usually when he'd go on his "adventures" but he seemed to love that too.
As he got older, he wasn't able to hunt and play as hard. He slowed down, and had a little some discomfort, but even then, he was still as gentle and loving as ever. We loved Chap and we really miss him. It's just not the same around here without him. One of these days we'll stop shedding tears



7 comments:
I am so sorry! There is nothing sadder then losing a precious member of the family! What a beautiful dog! Lisa
ooooooH....i'm so sorry...I know how much your family loved him. He was a good friend! and a good dog. My kids loved him too. After spending time at your house, whether, overnight or just for the afternoon, they usually had something fun to say about Chap!
I remember one of his "adventures" I was frantically chasing through your neighborhood, trying to get him to come home!!! My kids were FREEKING OUT!!! that's how much they loved him too!
We will all miss him:(
Sniff! I actually got teary as I read your tribute to Chap--Mostly thinking of how sad the kids and Mom and Dad must be. Give them all a love for us and tell them how sorry we are that they have lost their beloved pet--even though one of his "adventures" was the cause of my broken hand!
Papa and Grandma G.
Oh my goodness I am so sorry! I remember Michael and I would run around your yard having so much fun with Chap. Wow, that was YEARS ago! But I still remember. I can honestly say the day we said goodbye to Zoey was probably the hardest day of my life! They sure become members of the family don't they?
Dan, Susan, and kidders, I was so sorry to hear about what happened with Chap. We've known him for as long as we've known all of you, and he has always been part of your family. Know that we are all thinking about you. (Forgive the seriousness of this comment, Dan, but sarcasm just didn't seem appropriate.) Love you all!
SO sorry to hear about your sweet dog. I can picture him walking right out the door whenever I'd come to get Kenz. It would become an all out seach and effort to get him back home. Hope you are all doing OK.
okay, I'm tearing up.
Post a Comment