May 8, 2008

Ode to Spring

Spring is such an awesome time of year. Every year I decide I love this season most . . . until Summer comes, and then of course I fall in love with Fall too. I cannot say I love Winter anymore though. Such a shame.

Anyway, during Spring I love the welcome feel of skin warmed by the sun. I love the smell of freshly turned soil, freshly cut grass, and the smell of pavement after rain. I especially love the colors after so much drab . . . the grass, the sky, the flowers, everything And the s'mores. We can finally do s'mores again out in the fireplace!

Spring also brings tons of events and activities for the kids. It is a wonderfully crazy time of year. It seems everyone comes out of hibernation and it MUST ALL be done in April or May. Part of that craziness, and I emphasize only PART, includes spring sports and events.

So, to aid in my Ode to Spring, I include in this post some photos of the kids and their various athletic activities.

Jackson fell in love with lacrosse after his cousin Mitch introduced him to it a couple of years ago. It is becoming quite a popular sport and he is doing awesome. He has since introduced the sport to his brother Max and to some friends. Max even uses some of Mitch's old gear (thanks Mitch and Jane, and Steve especially for bringing me gear last minute!)






Max loves soccer and gets to play with many of his friends including his Dad. He smiles half the time he's playing because he is having so much fun. It is great to see! so much joy! Jackson loves soccer too and I would post fab photos taken by my dear and talented friend Lynell (which are much better than mine) but I'm not techy enough or patient enough to figure out how to do that.



Alex fell in love with dance a few years ago, probably again, due to my dear friend Lynell who was actually her first teacher. I took this with her friend Lonica (coincidentally Lynell's daughter) the evening after they had just both won Queen (first place) for their solos. They competed, thankfully, in different divisions. They competed together with their team the next day and did awesome as well. Go girls!



So much fun! Here's to Spring!

9 comments:

Jane Anne said...

You can continue to thank me not only for lacrosse, but violin too!! Jackson, Max and Alex are wonderful kids and I love them a ton! You do a great job with them (you too Dan):)and the photos are awesome too.

It's nice to finally have another post from you!!!

Jill said...

Susan,

I'm so glad you have a blog. I'm adding you to my links!! Kenzie will be so excited to see things Max is doing!! We are coming in June, and she is so excited to hang out with Max.
Love ya,
Jill

steve and lisa said...

Susan
Hi, this is Lisa Jones. I saw your name on Jill's blog! Trent is so excited to see pictures of Max! Life is insane! We haven't been very good long distance friends! I flew in for Melissa's baby shower, but spent the afternoon with Melissa & flew out the next morning. That is it for Syracuse! Jill is much better at keeping track of Syracuse people! Anyway, thought I would comment on your cute blog! I showed Trent your cute pictures this morning & he wanted Max to see his G&G Jones blog. Here is the address - http://hgmaladmemories.blogspot.com
We pretty much blog the most on it. Steve's sisters don't know much about comput.'s Anyway - I am a slacker! This blog stuff is great for long distance friends! Hope to keep in touch - Love Lisa

allredclan said...

So is it just me or, HOLY HECK, does that lacrosse stuff just look scary or what?!?!? Sending a bunch of boys out on the field with great big long sticks and helmets and turn them loose! The first time someone came running at me with one of those sticks I would have sprinted the other direction and cried like a baby. (Deep breath....) Ok, I know there are actually RULES and things like that, but, good grief, it still scares the heck out of me. Go beat 'em up, Jackson!!!

Felicidades also to Max for playing soccer and smiling the whole time. (I look like I'm about to die after running for too long.) And to Alex for taking first in her dance solo division! Wooters!!! (Your tiara is beautiful, Alex.)

As for my favorite things about spring, here are a few of mine:
*the smell of freshly laid landscape bark (goes along with the whole "turned dirt" thing)
*the smell of feshly cut grass
*the smell of rain on the pavement
Ok, so we seems to have a lot in common in this area... ;)
p.s. I also love the smell of farmers burning their ditches. =)

Susan said...

And cow manure too, I really love that. Seriously.

Susan said...

Lisa, I was so excited to see your post and I went to your blog and tried to post a comment. Sorry, I'm not allowed, but I really enjoyed the story about the race and the photos! Keep up the blogging!

Lynell said...

These busy talented kids. They are so awesome and I love the pictures. Spring is a wonderful time. I just have to keep reminding myself. Ü

steve and lisa said...

Susan
We MISS you! I am sure your life is as crazy as ever! Trent misses hanging with Max! & I miss hanging with you & your clan - smores, swimming, chatting, admiring your beautiful home, etc.
We love it up here! The people are a lot more liberal & tree hugger type! But, you just get used to it & not comment much! Miss conservative UT! I switched comments on Steve's parents blog! (we had some weird comment a while back so we switched it to no commments). Now - just google accounts can comment (I think! - it is hit & miss with this blog stuff sometimes!) Anyway - have a GREAT DAY!!! Love Lisa

Jill said...

I so love that so many of us can keep in touch with blogging!! I am excited to see you, your family, and everyone in a few weeks. I think I emailed you when we'd be there, or maybe Kenz had emailed Max a while back.
Love Ya!!!