
I've been reading about "Women in History" the last couple of days. I have to say I am so inspired. It is good to be reminded of the amazing impact women have had on our country. Without their courage and insight, our lives today could be very different. The woman in this photo was the first woman in Congress (1916). This was even before all American women had the right to vote! What would our lives be like if Susan B. Anthony hadn't been courageous enough to vote (and consequently get arrested) in 1872? I remember in law school studying cases where women were considered "chattel" (or property) just like livestock. I cannot imagine!
And what about Fanny Wright who in 1825 had this "radical" opinion that slavery was a horrible "pestilence"? She was considered dangerous! Remember, the Civil War didn't start until 1861 and even then, the war was as much (and some say more) about State's rights as it was slavery. Fanny lost half her fortune helping African-American slaves and trying to stand against slavery.
And of course I love Marian Wright Edelman's concerns about child abuse and other children's issues. She founded the Children's Defense Fund in 1973.
Now I may not agree with every single idea these and many other amazing women have had, but what matters to me, what is so inspiring, is their ability and courage to be free thinkers, to not just go along with the crowd and assume that certain current ideas or customs are just or correct. And then, to take that "outside the box" thinking and do something about it, to stand up for it and take action, despite the consequences.
Wow.
What will they say about us in 100 years? 200 years? What will we have changed? Will I have been part of the "group think" or will I have been willing to think and act "outside the box"?
Hmmmm.



4 comments:
Susan, I am inspired! I want to be that person. I want to make the world a better place. Lately I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out my purpose. I feel that maybe I need to pursue something that is motivating and encouraging for children. I seem to have a knack in that area. This much I know. It is time to step it up and become that better person. I know she is in here somewhere!!
Lunch today???
My dear Susan, you are definitely one of those free thinkers who thinks outside of the box. ;) And then you stress about it for forever. (And I love you for it)
Post a Comment